What are Benylin Chesty Cough & Cold Tablets?
Benylin Chesty Cough & Cold Tablets are a form of treatment that provides relief for a chesty cough and can also provide relief from a cold. These tablets contain three active ingredients that all help to treat symptoms:
- Paracetamol – A painkiller that will reduce soreness and also help if you have a fever
- Guaifenesin – An expectorant which promotes the release of sputum (a mixture of saliva and mucus) that reduces the blockage of mucus in the chest.
- Phenylephrine – A decongestant that helps the ease a blocked nose.
These tablets can be used to treat a chesty cough but also:
- Aches and pains
- A headache
- Blocked nose
- A sore throat
- A mucus cough
What causes a chesty cough?
A chesty cough is caused by a virus or infection, such as a cold or flu. It can also be caused by an allergy; such as hay fever. A cough caused by a cold, flu, or allergy is generally short-term but a persistent cough can occur. A persistent cough is caused by conditions such as bronchitis or asthma.
Who are these Benylin tablets suitable for?
These tablets are suitable to be used by adults and children aged 12 and over. Do not take these tablets if you are allergic to any of the ingredients contained in the tablets. They should also not be used if you have any of the following:
- A serious heart condition
- High blood pressure
- An overactive thyroid
- Have difficulty passing urine
- Are taking antidepressants called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI’s) or have taken them in the last 14 days
- Using medication called cough suppressants
Can someone who is pregnant or breastfeeding use these Benylin tablets?
IF you are pregnant or breastfeeding, then speak to a medical professional before using these tablets.
How should Benylin Chesty Cough & Cold Tablets be used?
It is recommended that you take two tablets every four hours. Do not take more than eight tablets in a 24-hour period.
Are there any side effects?
Because it is a medicine, there is a chance of side effects. Potential side effects include:
- Skin rash
- Stomach upsets
- Tingling or coolness of the skin
- A faster or slower heartbeat
- Insomnia (difficulty sleeping)
- A rise in body temperature